here is a little list of things we discussed in the decor class today! thanks for all who came- it was a great time.
of course everyone has their own styles- please remember that these are just my own opinions- i hope this list helps you in your design journey.
1. What is your style?
- It takes time to figure it all out.
- Some styles tend to be more expensive than other styles.
- Be open to other styles.
- Subscribe to free design house magazines such as:
crate & barrel
Check to see if your favorite design store has a magazine.
- Sign up for One Kings Lane where you can save up to 70% on top brands and leading designers in home decor, furniture, etc.
Some favorite home decor books:
Style on a Budget
Domino The Book of Decorating
Home Cheap Home
Living with Light
Colors for Your Every Mood
2. Buy what you like
- Surround yourself with what you love- everything from your furniture to your kitchen items- you should enjoy your things
- If you have expensive taste- look into creative ways to create what you like in a budget way or start saving up for that really sweet piece.
- Shop at your local thrift stores
3. Learn some basic skills
- Sewing can help cut costs with home decor (making your own drapes, pillows, etc.)
- If you are not a seamstress- look into fabric fusion products that will glue fabrics together without sewing or no-sew projects
- Refinishing old furniture- just a coat of paint can do wonders for almost anything
4. Be Practical for where you are now
- Make your space livable. Do you have lots of little kids or a baby on the way? Maybe the really delicate antique style isn't the best option for you right now- maybe later
- Have your home be inviting to the Lord. Don't make it a cold space. Be able to feel love.
- Watch the lighting in every room- adapt your decor to the amount of sun you get in the room
5. Favorite websites